Monday, December 6, 2010

12 Drummers Drumming

This has been an interesting week. Monday I was sick (nothing serious, just achey... achy... I had aches, and headaches, and a stuffy nose and sore throat, the usual wintery mix). Nathan took good care of me :) He brought medicine, OJ, soup, and a comic book to make me feel better while stuck in bed. Ironically enough, the one time I got up to get myself some food, I sprained my ankle. After the initial pain subsided, I actually started laughing while laying there on the floor. Poor Nathan must have thought I'd lost it. Anyway, it wasn't a bad sprain. Jut some swelling, but I never had trouble walking on it. And since I was lying around in bed anyway, I kept from walking on it for the first day. It's still a little sore when I move my foot around, but it's all good. So I missed my work party on Tuesday, boo.
Wednesday I still was in bed, but more so because it was FREEZING outside and I just didn't want to do anything. We got a little bit of snow, but it was nothing compared to Utah standards. Wednesday night I was sick of being cooped up and there was a Christmas Relief Society fireside, so I thought I'd venture out into the cold. The bus got me there a half hour early and I got to stand out in the cold for a good twenty minutes, but I walked to a nearby convenient store and got some candy, so it was worth it :) And I learned that pigs in a blanket here are little sausages wrapped in BACON, not pastry like it is for us. Delicious. Oh and I had some South African simosas too. Yay for being Mormon and eating after every activity!
So I was glad my foot was ok to walk on because the first thing that went through my head when I fell was, we're going to Bath on Friday!!!!!! Noooo!!!!! But I was ok, so yay. Bath has these super cool Christmas Markets that I've been looking forward to since Cerriss told me about them back when we first got here. The Camachos drove the Scotts and us to Bath and we had so much fun! It was beautiful and I picked up some Christmas gifts and had the BEST fudge I've ever had in my life... mmm... This is part of the Bath Abbey. I couldn't get it all on one shot from where we were standing, so I just got the sweet door.
It was so cool to be shopping outside and having this big beautiful old building towering over you. They were having a performance of Handel's Messiah inside and you could hear the big choir numbers ever oce in a while. I peeked my head in during a baritone solo right before we left. It was gorgeous! (It was no MoTab though :) )

I pretended like we were back in Dicken's era, picking up the Christmas goose for the family, splurging on special sweets for our children and maybe a watch chain for my husband.

Cute Joshua took our picture. He is so in love with Nathan, or "Mr. Snow" as he calls him.
Joshua and one of his many sweets. Those kids had so much candy haha. They kept saying, I'm never going to bed! They kept giving us stuff, which was great :) And they were dissappointed that we were able to handle the "toxic waste" (basically warheads, super sour stuff).
It was cool to be back where I was almost five years ago with our tour group. I'd like to come back (when it's warmer maybe) and see the baths again. AND see some Jane Austen-y stuff. I really like Bath and I'm glad it's so close. Jaime Oliver has a restaurant here too.... mmmm... maybe if we don't buy food for a couple of weeks we'll afford a night out there.

This is cute Thomas. He's my little love bug. He's in my primary class and gives me so many hugs (and candy) that I forgive him when he acts up haha. He's such a sweetie. After I took this picture he said it was to remember him forever in that hat.
The pump room, where you can pay to ronk icky water that's supposedly good for you our makes you young or something.
Needless to say, it started raining (welcome to England) but it was still fun. We found solace in a McDonalds for a while. I'm happy to say that MacDos tastes the same wherever you are. It was a little piece of home to help with my homesickness during the Holidays.
Pretty Bath Abbey :)

Cool tree crown carving thingy on the cathedral.

I saw this on the way to work yesterday. It was for some cancer charity thing. Cool dude.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Very beautiful in Bath at this time of year, isn't it? It does seem Charles Dickens-y and old fashioned. That's just the right tone at Christmas time. I'm sorry you have had some challenges with your health...I wonder if it's the change in climate from Utah? You always have been sensitive to cold weather, too. Little Thomas is darling in his hat. It will be nice for you to go back to visit the Jane Austin touristy destinations later. We missed that when we went before. Missing one of my songbirds at Christmastime. Remember "Fay-lees-la-dee-da" for Mom-Mom? Haha! Love you, Mom