Thursday, March 8, 2012

I Have a Love/Hate Relationship with the World

I love everyone.  There is good in everyone.  We're all God's children.

People are stupid.  I hate people who whine and ask dumb questions.  No one cares anymore.

Everyone deserves a second chance.  I give people the benefit of the doubt.

People are greedy and lazy and selfish.  Don't belive anything you read on the internet.

I feel all of these conflicting emotions pretty much all the time.  A lot of the time I have an ovewhelming love for everyone on the planet.  Everyone has their own story, they're not all just extras in the "Kelsey Snow Movie."  We (and I'm talking to those of us fortunate enough to live in a first world country) focus entirely too much on ourselves.  I know I do.  If the internet is acting up or if I forgot to wash the shirt I wanted to wear today... look out...  Kelsey angry.  I wish I could be that person who dedicates her life to making a difference.  I'm just the gal who cries when she watches a sad video made by those dedcated  people, then shares it.  Done!  I saved the world!

The video I'm talking about, of course, is the new KONY 2012 video now circling the interwebs.

 If you take the time to watch it, I think it's extremely worthwhile.  The issue is a real one that needs to be dealt with.  Whether you want to donate or buy a bracelet or slap up posters is entirely up to you.  I found an article that questions this organizaton's integrity with the handling of the donated money.  Other people are accusing the organization of trying to make things worse.  The internet is a funny place.  It's full of trolls and scammers and false information.

I toe the line between sceptic and romantic, though I prefer to see the good in people, it makes me happier.  I believe the people involved with the video and the Invisible Children organization ar legit and want to do some real good.

Anyway.

I have a good life.  A very good life.  I was born of goodly parents.  I had a good education.  I had the means to go to college.  I worked at Disney World.  I found my sweetie and got married.  We lived in England.  We have a roof over our heads.  We both have jobs...

oh  yeah... P.S.  I got a job!  I'm working as a Computer Lab Tech at Sunset Elementary in St. George.  Yeah!

... and a roof over our heads.  We are happy and healthy, so all of that puts us ahead of most of the world's population.  When I get all boo-hoo-y about doing the dishes, I should be thanking my Heavenly Father that I don't have to fear for my life and the lives of my loved ones on a daily basis.  In response to the trending KONY 2012 issue, I saw someone on Facebook write something along the lones of  "we have our own problems, cool posters though."

Disgusting.  Misenthropic Kelsey emerges.  Can you imagine that kind of reaction to the Holocaust?  Sickening.  But some people don't care about anything beyond a witty status update.

Joseph Kony is the worst kind of human being that makes this world hell for his fellow man.  I'm all for raising awareness if it helps stopping this kind of evil.


KONY 2012 from INVISIBLE CHILDREN on Vimeo.
Long rant blog.  The End.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Saw the video and I was moved. I'm pretty sure its legit because I heard more about it on a regular news show on tv (I forget which one). I hope they find that guy. I want to donate to so many causes but I don't have the financial means to do it, but I do care. We only have so much financial and emotional currency in our banks, I think, and although we feel pain for others, we tend to disassociate ourselves to a degree for our own protection. Since I donate to charity (my tithing) on a regular basis, I feel I am doing all I can do right now in that regard. I think people fasting and praying for a cause is good, too. The Lord takes over where we can't. You are a special woman with tender feelings and should remain that way. Remain thoughtful, cautious, and caring. It makes sense to have some skepticism and to see the world through your own lenses (the lenses of your own background and experience) then broaden your horizons by weighing different viewpoints and seeing how they fit in your worldview and your spiritual beliefs. We all are different and add to a (hopefully) civil conversation about events. The people that make me crazy are those who get hostile with others for not agreeing with their (OBVIOUSLY) "correct" opinions. So just say, "Hmmmmmm. You've made a point," and immediately forget they exist. (hehe) Thanks for the good blogs, Kelsey!