Thursday, November 25, 2010

Food Day!

I'm so excited that it's Thanksgiving! It's 10:30 in the morning, and I'm waiting for Yuki to get here at noon so we can get a-cookin'! Ever since we had our big shopping day on Tuesday for all the food, I haven't been able to sleep. It's like it's Christmas! I'm not sure why I'm so excited... but I seem to be :) Now I'm just passing the time until I can start with the food. I'm afraid I'll get over excited and finish it all too early and it'll get cold... or I'll burn something. I just want it to be good!!!

So last night we went with the missionaries to teach this girl nearby. We'll call her Shaun (she's Chinese and her name's really Shaung or Sheng... I have the hardest time with Chinese names... so we're calling her Shaun, like the gymnast). She's super nice and is really open to listening to these new ideas. I'd never met anyone before that Christianity is a whole new concept. Last night we talked about who God is, how he's our Heavenly Father, and His Son Jesus Christ. She had some AMAZING questions and insights. Like, if we have a Heavenly Father, who's our Heavenly Mother? And, I don't think babies sin. The whole time we were like YES! You're so right!!! It's like she already believes the same things we do, she just has yet to put it all together in one big Gospel-y package. She's having trouble understanding exactly who and where God is, but I think we all take advantage of the fact that we grew up with the idea of God and Heaven. If it was totally new to me, it might sound a little like a fairy tale. The fact that she already has these beliefs instilled in her proves to me that the Holy Spirit exists and whispers to everyone all over the world: China, America, England etc. Anyway, she might be coming to church Sunday! Here's hoping!

On the menu tonight: Potato Salad, Cranberry Sauce (by Nathan), Sweet Potato Casserole, Mashed Potatoes (we are not lacking in carbs), Mac n Cheese, Green bean Casserole, Stuffing, Ham, Turkey Joint (not a whole Turkey, they're SUPER expensive and I don't think my oven could handle it anyway), chips and dip, and Cherry Pie and Apple Crisp for Dessert! The desserts I'm cheating on and just warming in the oven, but they look tasty!! I was going to make Mommy's Eastern Shore corn bread, but corn meal apparently doesn't exist here. I was sad about that, but honestly, we're only feeding 6 people, so we've got plenty of food without it. We're having rolls instead.

Oh my gosh, so here's how neurotic I am... I dreamt last night that I was so tired from cooking I fell asleep at dinner and woke up and everyone was gone! I'd slept through Thanksgiving! I was so upset... Oh and I dreamt I didn't have time to make the Mac n Cheese and that really made me mad. Oy vey... Maybe I shouldn't host Thanksgiving anymore lol.

Anyway, I reall miss my family and wish I could be in Maryland, making my Sweet Potato Casserole with too much cinnamon, scrambling for the last bit of Elizabeth's corn pudding, and eating all the pickles that were put out just for me. Happy Turkey Day!

Everyone minus Popi

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope everything turned out like you hoped! I missed you so much today. We really need to Skype again soon. I love you and I will make you corn pudding the next time we are together :-)

wfrank said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

Hope your Thanksgiving in England was something to remember and reminisce about for years to come. I love the photo of our family. So many special memories…Wish I could mail you some cornbread, I made extra! I really miss you in the kitchen whipping up the sweet potato casserole. We are starting a new tradition by inviting the missionaries over. Part of the reason is because we hope someone is taking care of our girls when they are so far away from us. I'm so proud of you for making such an effort to make the holiday nice for your friends and Nathan. I wish I could see these milestones in your life more than anything. What a great experience to teach the gospel from the very basics. It sounds something like what we were able to do in Antigua. It helped me to strengthen my own testimony too. So you are doing the Lord's work in England. That's a wonderful thing. Much love to you.

wfrank said...

Hope your Thanksgiving was everything you wanted it to be. We missed you and Nathan here.

I'm excited for your mssionary experience. Follow your heart because I know it is filled with the Holy Spirit.