Friday, February 17, 2012

Oh Happy Day!

Yesterday was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.  For Nathan anyway.  And if Hubby's not happy, how can I be?  He was getting discouraged about not getting accepted into a PhD program yet, which leads to worrying about the future, which leads to regretting past decisions, which leads to what I like to call "Nathan's Pit of Despair."  It's not pretty.  So I put on the happy wifey "everything's all going to be ok" face and do a little dance, which sometimes works... but yesterday... not so much.  So we decided to make a trip to the Temple to gain some clarity and hope, like you do, but lo and behold it was closed for cleaning!  Bless his cotton socks, poor Nathan thought that even God didn't want him.  We walked around the temple grounds anyway just to try to feel some peace.  I can't speak for Nathan, but I felt that "everything's going to be ok... I'm not sure how or when, but it'll all be alright" feeling.  We went to Neilson's Frozen Custard for a little pick-me-up, Nathan had a nice chat with his Daddy-O and we went to bed still unsure of the future.

Then.

This morning.

I was dead asleep when Nathan lets out a maniacal laugh from the other room and barrels into the bedroom.  I immediately just said "Where????", knowing that he'd finally gotten accepted into a program.  The next words he uttered were like music to my ears: "Florida!  UCF!  We're going to Orlando!"  Of course, this is a big MAYBE, since we still have a few other schools to hear back from... but we were totally on a high this morning.  We daydreamed about Mickey Mouse, plam trees, old friends and family (mine anyway), and oranges.  Like I said, it's not 100% that that's our final destination, but if everyone else says no, we at least know that we have one place to go!  The future is less uncertain, Nathan's regained his confidence in his career choice, and I can spend the next few months explaining why alligators are WAY less scary than rattlesnakes and mountain lions (He's from Arizona, where even the plants want to kill you, but he's scared of a li'l ol' gator).

So, yeah.  Happy day!  I was in such a good mood I decided to finish a skirt that I gave up on before we moved to England.  It has a zipper in the left pocket and it was warping.  I figured it out and now I have a cute skirt with cute pockets and a cute husband who'll tell me I look cute while we eat cute breadsticks at cute Olive Garden tonight!  (Don't hate 'cause I'm ooey gooey when I'm this happy).



Below is a picture from yesterday's Temple walkabout.  We got married in this Temple, so we walked around re-living our wedding photos.  Here is where our families stood and posed in the hot desert sun almost 4 years ago.

3 comments:

A 20-something Girl said...

I just had to comment on this post because I occasionally stalk your blog and because I have also been in a position of waiting on God recently as far as what's out there for my future. I often re-read Philippians 4:6-7 "Do not be anxious about anything but in everything, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." :] It's so perfect for times like these!

Rik said...

I'm so happy for you guys!! That's the best when Heavenly Father gives you such a clear answer it's almost comical. Love you miss you smooooch!

Lisa said...

When your children are happy...you're happy, too! Every step in this journey called life is for a purpose and through prayer we can find the very best paths to take. Dad and I love you very much and want the best for you and Nathan.