Thursday, February 24, 2011

Kelsey's Oscar Picks

It's that time of year. The time when people gather to talk about movies they didn't get a chance to see, but "heard they were pretty good. I saw 'Dinner for Schmucks' instead." In this family (the Kelsey and Nathan family) we try to see it all. I'm basing my opinions on what I've actually seen. Like for instance, I never really had an interest to see 'Black Swan', though everyone seems to have gone Lady Gaga over it. I will not be voting for it nor it's lead actress, although they may have been spiffy. I just didn't see it. I'd love to hear other people's opinions on stuff I haven't seen or if you just disagree with me. Not a lot of people comment on here, so hopefully this will make you. :)

FILM & Supporting Actress: True Grit & Hailee Steinfeld
I was actually really surprised how obsessed I am with this movie. I wasn't familiar with the original, so I went into this movie with no nostalgia or comparison to cloud my view. It was so well acted, so beautiful, and the script was so interesting. The speech was almost Shakespearian with how elevated it was. It didn't feel out of place though, I'm not sure how else to describe it. And the girl that played Maddie Ross just blew me away. What exactly are the requirements of being a lead actress? She had just as much screen time as Rooster. Hailee should win for leading. And supporting. She was just that good. This has been the only time Nathan and I looked at each other and said "wow" during a film. Anyway, I'm not sure it'll win because The Social Network and Black Swan seem to be the ones everyone is talking about, but True Grit as a whole movie was incredible. Did I mention how amazing the cowboy costumes were? So detailed. Anyway, loved it.

ACTOR: Colin Firth
I have been in love with Colin Firth as an actor for a long time. He's so versatile, and it really shows in "The King's Speech". He plays such a complicated character. He, as a royal (and an English royal, no less) has this pressure to have this Pricely persona and can't show any flaws, which is unfortunate because of his stuttering problem. Colin does a great job of showing his inner frustration under his stiff upper lip. You really feel for him and want him to succeed so badly. It's also so amazing to me how subtly funny he is. Oh yeah, and he did really well at the accent (super posh) and the stuttering. No big deal. If you didn't see the movie because you thought it'd be boring, give it a shot and I think it'll suprise you. I wouldn't be surprised if it got art direction as well.

ANIMATED MOVIE: Toy Story 3
Dur. I did love "How to Train Your Dragon" and I think everyone should give it the time of day it deserves, but TS3 is just above and beyond (should I say to infinity and beyond?) any animated movie. Ever. I'm not just being biased because of my close relationship with Buzz. Any child and adult that's seen the movie was touched by it (anyone who says otherwise is lying).

COSTUME DESIGN: Alice and Wonderland
This is why. (Although I did love the costumes in "True Grit", I figured they couldn't win it all in my book.)

MAKE-UP DESIGN: The Way Back
Bravo to "Barney's Version" for age make-up. They did do a really good job, but "The Way Back" did such an amazing job with sunburns, tattoos, cuts and scars, and other wounds and weathered effects. And to be honest, I was really disappointed with "The Wolfman"'s effects. The CGI effects were cool, buuuuut we're talking about mak-up here. When it was CGI-free, I wasn't convinced it was a wolf-man. Maybe my classes have jaded me, but I knew I was looking at an actor in lots of crepe/real hair and padded shoulders.

SONG: I See the Light
I REALLY want this song to win. You. Have. No. Idea.

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED): Day and Night
This was the one in front of "Toy Story 3". Pixar has this magical gift of storytelling. I always wonder how they come up with such brilliant ideas. However they do it, I'm glad I'm able to enjoy it. A+ Pixar.

I have no opinion on actresses and if you want to talk about directing and editing, talk to Nathan. I mean, you can talk to me and I might have interesting things to say... but really... talk to Nathan. Hopefully we'll actually get to watch it, what with not having TV and all...

2 comments:

Rik said...

Okay, so I'm not that good at taking apart a movie. I go into a movie for a good story, pretty things to look at, etc. But I can say that I definitely agree about True Grit. I had never seen it either, but I really think it's one of my favorite movies I've ever seen. The girl was absolutely incredible. All of them were. And the script! I was in LOVE with it! I told Kevin that it was a modern version of an old western, but still kept true to the cliches of the language and the adventures. Like, being bit by a rattlesnake, or when Rooster is on his horse, two guns flying the air. That type of thing. I loved the style. I figured it would be more modern, but I loved that it wasn't. I love that they never said any contractions, but things like "did not" or "would not", etc. ANYWAY, so that movie was incredible to me.

Love Alice's dresses. I wanted them all.

I never saw the King's Speech, but Kevin and I are dying to.

TS3 - always a winner. Made us laugh, cry, reminisce. Of course we loved it.

I never saw Black Swan, but I'm not sure I really want to. I heard it's creepy and scary, both of which I do not do well with.

I'm so excited for the oscars! I don't know why. I never get into them too much, but I did last year too. Maybe I should have a party with Kevin and Henry! :)

Lisa said...

Totally agree with the Toy Story III and King's Speech critique. The King's Speech had "language" but it made sense because we file bad language in a different part of our brain from regular speech and it was a legit tool to help him (whether or not you may use it yourself). However, I would not see just any movie in order to critique it. There are some movies that I know enough about from other people seeing it or from a professional critique to know it has no redeeming value for me and I wouldn't want it cluttering up my brainwaves or chasing away the good Spirit. Some shows or movies are really funny, but at a cost, in my opinion (and you did ask for it). :P Your writing is very interesting and I'm impressed...it's like you've been to college or something. Of course, you've always been smart :)I should know, right?