Friday, April 20, 2012

Who Am I? (Sung in Jean Valjean's voice)

Kelsey Brady.  Wore weird things and thought she was hot stuff.
So Wednesday my buddy Kara and I went to our weekly Zumba class.  We usually go on Mondays, but sometimes we have to re-schedule.  The Wednesday teacher is HILARIOUS.  She way more in-your-face that our Monday lady, and since the classes tend to be smaller on Wednesdays I feel like I have to impress her.   (Because that is Kelsey- always seeking approval from outside sources.  Why, you ask?  Because I'm so great, you say?  Oh, stop it...  but don't really...)  So anyway, last time we did a Wednesday class she singled me out and praised me for my booty-shaking skillz.  This, of course, made my week.  This most recent time we were in her class, she actually had me come up to the front of the class and shake my junk.  It was hilarious and embarrassing and validating and terrible and odd and just darn funny.  I don't think it would have been as entertaining without my Zumba buddy there.  It just reminded me of how much fun I used to have at dances with my girlfriends where we would act ridiculous and overly "sexy" then laugh at how silly we were being.  (Now Nathan at this point would say something about me being an uber-tease when I was younger.  Whatevs) I used to looooooooove going to dances or just dancing, full-stop.  Now I have a new outlet for my pent-up sweet moves.  And I feel like I've re-gained a bit of my former self.
Kelsey Snow.  Has adventures with her  Sweetie.
I've noticed (more like read on their blogs) that almost every single one of my married friends feels at one point or another that they've lost who they were before they were wed or started having kids.  I can say that I've felt that way a lot.  It's not that I'm unhappy with the life change, it's just that after so many priority shifts and responsibility additions, not to mention the new person/people's needs and wants to consider, one can feel like they're a completely new person.  Would Kelsey Brady have been happy to spend her Friday night on the couch watching episode after episode of Battlestar Gallactica(Provo was Doctor Who.  Bristol was also Doctor Who), eating popcorn and cuddling?  I'm thinking probably not... But Kelsey Brady Snow is sad that we finished the show already and can't wait to find the next thing on Netflix that she and her hubby can devour.
Like I said, I'm not unhappy with my change in lifestyle, but I've found that I tend to be much happier when I incorporate some KB flava back into the Snow household.  Like Zumba!  Like camping!  Like girl time!  Which leads me to this next section called: I've got a girl date!
I'VE GOT A GIRL DATE!  I was most excited to move back to Utah because I remembered that I had a friend here in St. George!  Since I've mostly forgotten how to make and keep friends, I liked knowing that I already have at least one in town!  So, since we've been here I've seen Miss Katie Houghtaling once when her school put on a show (she's the drama teacher), but that's it.  I'm determined to be a less socially-awkward married lady.  I WILL have friends again!  (And then we'll move in a few months and I'll have to start all over...  but at least I''ll be a pro by the time we leave!)  So we're hanging out today and I'm super-pumped.


Last night I babysat for Katie (different Katie), a girl in my ward that's super cute with super cute kids that I adore.  She had a date, so of course when she came back I just wanted to talk and talk about boys and clothes and hair and stickers and ponies and Myspace.com!  (Family Guy reference)  Most of my closest friends were guys (insert here another comment from Nathan saying how they all wanted to get wit' me) and my girl friends weren't really girly, so I never saw myself as one of those gabby gals.  Being around only one guy all the time does that to a lass I suppose.
Oh, I also have to mention that I have a beautiful sister-in-law that lives here and has been a great friend and confidant.  She's about 3 days away from giving birth and she needed a girly day so we got pedicures and gabbed.  I'm SO glad we get along, because that's the thing with family.  Just because your husbands are brothers, doesn't mean your going to be besties.  I think the hardest part of moving is going to be leaving Adam, Joanna, little Lyddie Bug, and my unnamed nephew.
So thank you Zumba, Kara, Katie1, Katie2, and Jo for making me feel like myself again.

Oh and I think this side of me will never leave: singing show tunes with my sibbies (I can't just say sisters now, I'm hoping baby boy Adam James will add a male voice to our troupe).

2 comments:

Rik said...

I SO know what you mean!!!

Now I'm in the phase of life where I want to hang out with girls my age, but don't know how to ask. haha! We always set up "play dates" with our kids, but I want to hang out at night! With my friends! Alone! No kids! I haven't done that in YEARS. It's awkward now because everyone gets together with their kids. Blah blah, whatever. These are my problems.

Lisa said...

I was going to say, having sisters probably took up a lot of girl time needs for you. I remember that picture and how you sang and performed shows on the trailer. I watched your "If You Could See Me Now" performance on one of our old VHS tapes yesterday. What a dancer! What a singer! You had "it" and you still do. Never lose the special you that makes you YOU! YOU are wonderful and talented and pretty...I love you!